India tour of Australia: Cricket Australia (CA) have confirmed, on Tuesday, that the 3rd Test will go ahead as planned in Syndey amid coronavrius concerns that had put the schedule on hold.
Australia vs India 3rd Test to go ahead as planned in Syndey. (AP Photo)
- Cricket Australia will go ahead with the 3rd Test in Syndey, as planned
- Earlier, Melbourne was being considered as a backup for the 3rd Test
- A coronavirus outbreak had hit Syndey last month and put a question mark on the 3rd Test
After several rounds of discussion over the coronavirus concerns in Syndey, the 3rd Test of the Border Gavaskar Trophy between India and Australia is scheduled to go ahead as planned. Cricket Australia (CA), on Friday, have confirmed that the 3rd Test of the 4-match series will be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground, starting on January 7.
In a ‘calculated gamble’, the board announced the unchanged venue for the 3rd Test after agreement with the BCCI.
JUST IN: The SCG has been confirmed as the venue for the third #AUSvIND Test
— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) December 29, 2020
The recent coronvirus outbreak in parts of Sydney had put a question mark on the 3rd Test between India and Australia. CA have had several rounds of discussions with the NSW authorities and the Queensland government over the past two weeks.
Last week, CA interim chief Nick Hockley had said that the 3rd Test was still to be hosted by Syndey with Melbourne as the back up option.
“Despite the many challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, I am delighted to say Cricket Australia remains on track to deliver the men’s international series as scheduled,” Hockley said.
“We have met regularly over the past week to assess the unfolding public health situation in Sydney and gauge its impact on border restrictions around the country. To date, we have been able to deliver a safe and successful summer thanks to our detailed biosecurity protocols and the amazing work of so many great people behind the scenes.”
“To that end, we have made the decision to keep the New Year’s Test at the SCG, which has a wonderful recent history of hosting the Pink Test and Jane McGrath Day on the third day of play. We are confident that both this match, and the fourth Test in Brisbane, will play out in a safe and successful manner and thus round out what has been a magnificent men’s international program this summer,” he added.
CA made the decision after confirming that the players and staff would be able to travel from NSW to Queensland without the requirement of a hard quarantine ahead of fourth Test in Brisbane.